Clark bars, the signature item of one of the country’s largest candy empires, started with a small operation run by young entrepreneur David L. Clark in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Mr. Clark entered the candy business in 1891 and spent a few years learning the trade before starting his own company, D.L. Clark Co., in 1886.
He manufactured candy in two back rooms of a small house with the help of a small staff.
Within a few years, he made enough money to open a small factory in McKeesport, where the company became incorporated
By 1911, the company had outgrown its factory, and Mr. Clark purchased a large building from a cracker manufacturer.
In the 1920s when the company was making approximately one hundred and fifty (150) different types of candy and gum, Mr. Clark decided to create a separate entity for the gum-making business.
He felt that the candy and gum operations would be more successful if the were run separately, so he opened the Clark Brothers Chewing Gum Co. across the street from his candy factory.
Following Mr. Clark’s death in 1939, his family continued to run the business until 1955. The company operated smoothly in Pittsburgh for several decades but ran into financial difficulties in the 1990s.
Eventually, the company was bought by New England Confectionary Co. and relocated.
Like many retro favorites, McKeesport Candy Co., was one of the first wholesaler in the nation to offer Clark Bars and still does so today via its web site at CandyFavorites.com
Does anyone happen to know what year D.L. Clark Company put out a candy called: Sea Foam Kisses? Any information would be appreciated.